First off, a big congrats goes out to Pittsburgh’s very own Michael Keaton. Even though he didn’t win Best Actor, the movie Birdman, which he starred in, took home the Oscar for Best Picture!
Pittsburgh-filmed Foxcatcher went home empty-handed. And there were lots of other winning and losing moments this year at the Academy Awards.
One for-sure winning moment was Lady Gaga’s tribute to Julie Andrews — girlfriend can SING!! — and it was wonderful to see Ms. Andrews join her on stage. Other great moments were Graham Moore’s acceptance speech, John Legend and Common’s moving musical performance, and Patricia Arquette’s call to action regarding equal wages and equal rights for women. #AskHerMore was an awesome movement on the red carpet (and social media) this year, and Julianne Moore’s speech for Best Actress was great.
However, there were some jokes by Neil Patrick Harris that fell flat, some long, drawn-out, boring moments (that caused Katie Couric to give up on the whole thing.) Joan Rivers was missing from the In Memoriam segment (granted, she technically wasn’t a member of the Academy but COME ON: Joan was a staple at the Oscars for many years! An exception could have – should have – been made.) And whiteness: oh, the whiteness of the whole event was oft-mocked — and rightfully so.
But I’m sure that most of you are just here for the fashion, so let’s get to it.
My personal Best Dressed was Reese Witherspoon. That and the rest of my favorites for best-dressed at the 2015 Oscars (in no particular order) are below:
- Reese Witherspoon (Classic, simple, gorgeous! Reese & Tom Ford = perfect match.)
- Scarlett Johansson (people haaaated this look. I loved it!)
- Jennifer Lopez (like a grown-up fairy-princess prom queen!)
- Anna Kendrick (because how could you not love this girl?)
- Jennifer Aniston (she gets better with age & this Versace dress was beautiful!)
- Oprah Winfrey (Queen Oprah simply slayed it. She looked so pretty in Vera Wang)
- Lady Gaga (*MINUS THE GLOVES)
- Lupita Nyong’o (she can make anything look effortlessly good.)
- Emma Stone (Perfect color on her. Classy gal … funny, too!)
- Rosamund Pike (Lady in red. This dress = sexy.)
- Behati Prinsloo (very goth chic)
- Giuliana Rancic (what can I say, I’m a sucker for a good red dress!)
- Jenna Dewan Tatum (nailed it!)
- David Oyelowo (he looks amazing. And, apparently my red fetish carries over into menswear, as well.)
- Jared Leto (like the ScarJo one, this is a look that many people hated, but I loved! Maybe it’s because he’s a celebrity crush of mine?)
- Adam Levine (he just looks so handsome.)
- Eddie Redmayne (despite the color of his tux, he didn’t have the blues for long: he took home Best Actor)
My choices for WORST dressed were:
- Gwyneth Paltrow (ditch the flower, Oscars Barbie)
- Ava DuVerna (*honestly, a part of me loves this Prada look, but a part of me hates it, too. So perhaps undecided?)
- Kerry Washington (It takes a lot for something to look boring and unflattering on such a beauty. But this does. Also? It’s just kind of ugly.)
- Rita Ora (why does it fan out in the front? Do the girls need some air?)
- Keira Knightley (no … just no. Worst dressed in my opinion.)
- Gayle King (not flattering. Oprah needs to share her stylist. And her tailor.)